Nektar Therapeutics Fellow (R&D), Medicinal Chemistry in Huntsville, Alabama
Fellow (R&D), Medicinal Chemistry
- Area of Interest:
- Job ID:
- Job Type:
Refer a Friend
We are seeking a talented synthetic, organic chemist to further advance Nektar’s technology expertise in support of developing our pipeline, thus promoting the continued technical growth of the Company.
The successful candidate will participate in and, when appropriate, will lead the execution of scientific research and/or product development activities. The scientist will initiate efforts to resolve conflicting requirements, identify chronic problems and promote solutions to them. The individual will apply scientific principles and concepts to potential inventions, products, and problems; keep abreast of technology trends, particularly in areas of strategic importance to the Company plans and execute laboratory research/experimentation; maintain broad knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories; and make contributions to scientific literature, conferences and/or understanding of company processes.
This position contributes to and supports the company’s research and development efforts to create high value therapeutics to address unmet medical needs.
The successful candidate will:
• Work independently with general management direction.
• Contribute to the work of project team.
• Advises technical managers on technology trends and developments in specialty.
• Helps create the technical vision of the Company.
• Develops or directs the development of solutions to complex technical problems where little or no precedence exists and innovation is required.
• Applies a very extensive knowledge of, and has a record of success in, several fields.
• Consistently demonstrates results in innovative application of special disciplines.
• Act as a principal investigator in conducting his or her own experiments to achieve objectives in creative and effective ways.
• Influences a range of suppliers, external customers and government agencies with a strong impact on the Company's profitability.
• Identifies emerging technology gaps or anticipates emerging needs and seeks to initiate new programs to fill the gaps or meet the needs, all having a major business impact.
• Develops and mentors employees across sites.
• Takes initiatives to maintain and extend technical skills.
• May take advanced specialized courses or participate in professional societies.
• Work on problems of diverse scope in which analysis of data is required to draw general, non-obvious conclusions.
• Define problems, develop approaches and experiments with sound judgment and minimal supervision.
• Put work practices in context with larger team and coordinate activities with other team members.
• Write complex reports and participate in the development of patent applications.
A PhD in a scientific discipline and a minimum of 14 years work experience in a research and/or development environment is required. Post-doctoral work may serve as experience. Equivalent experience may be accepted. Exceptional non-PhDs with demonstrated capabilities and/or significant experience may also be considered.
The successful candidate must be willing and able to:
• Demonstrate broad success in technical proficiency, creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought.
• Demonstrate a substantial record of technical leadership and contributions of value and a broad range of technical influence.
• Represent the leading edge in field, while able to demonstrate expert knowledge in technical principles and concepts both internally and externally with sustained performance and significant accomplishment.
• Conduct multi-step organic synthesis for complicated targets.
• Demonstrate knowledge and skills to apply advanced chromatographic methods and instrumental analysis to purify and characterize the products.
• Demonstrate problem solving capabilities and be able to demonstrate sound judgment.
• Demonstrate good understanding and experience of working with water soluble molecules such as PEG, peptides, carbohydrates, etc. is highly desired.
• Demonstrate expert knowledge in scientific principles and concepts related to organic chemistry, and must be current with state-of-the-art techniques and literature.
• Demonstrate good interpersonal skills, working as a key team member, and previous supervisory skills are a plus.
• Clearly communicate scientific information both written and oral with minimal assistance. Good computer skills are required.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Nektar Therapeutics will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in the manner proscribed by the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.