Huntsville EMS Communication Specialist 1 in Huntsville, Alabama
Huntsville Emergency Medical Services, Inc.
Section: Job Descriptions
Title: Communications Specialist I
Reports to: Communications Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Prepared By: HR Manager, May 2013
This position performs dispatch of emergency calls.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(Other duties may be assigned)
Dispatches emergency calls to closest appropriate unit utilizing the CAD tools to access system status.
Monitor various radio frequencies to keep apprised of developing situations.
Operates two-way radio and/or other communications equipment to copy calls to other public safety agencies and medical first responders.
Read and effectively interpret maps and information from a computer screen in order to determine locations and provide directions.
Enters, updates, and retrieves information from a variety of computer systems.
Relay information and messages to and from emergency sites, to all other individuals or groups requiring notification.
Scan computer screens, and contact field units in order to determine units available for dispatch.
Knowledge of and ability to operate computer based telephone system.
Behavioral Core Competencies:
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies on a daily basis. These factors will be used to measure an employee’s performance throughout the work day.
Demonstrates proper attendance and punctuality requirement
Completes tasks on time and accepts responsibility for the best of the organization
Time management and prioritizing – shifts back and forth between two or more activities or sources of information and can prioritize activities based on specific rules/guidelines
Pursues training and development opportunities; strives to build knowledge and skills in order to share with the organization
Observes proper safety and security procedures
1) Distribution of information, both written and oral
2) Provides excellent customer service
3) Demonstrates team work with co-workers and supports organizational success
4) Supports organization’s goals and values; supports EEOC values by respecting diversity within the organization
5) Maintains highest standards of professionalism
1) Problem solving – discovers, analyzes, and solves problems to overcome obstacles
2) Speed of Closure – quickly assesses and implements course of action required
3) Exhibiting problem sensitivity – recognizes when something is wrong or about to go wrong
4) Communication multi-tasking through maintaining situational awareness at all times
5) Initiative – identifies opportunities and issues, and proactively acts to follow through on work activities to capitalize or resolve them
6) Innovative – generates unique ideas for improving work
7) Exhibits adaptability – can change in demanding work environment when unexpected events happen for the best environmental fit
8) Listening – accurately receives information and reciprocates effectively to party received from
9) Decision making - weighing risks, makes accurate and quality judgments
10) Uses analytical thinking without becoming easily distracted
Education - Education: High School diploma or equivalent
Typing Skills - Must have the ability to type a minimum of 35 words per minute.
CritiCall Skills - Must successfully complete an industry standard personnel selection tool CritiCall. This process measures and evaluates the candidate’s cognitive skills.
Mathematical Skills - Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Computer Skills - To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software.
Auditory Skills - ability to hear, comprehend, and distinguish sounds and verbal communication in the presence of other distracting sounds via a headset, telephone, or other external source.
Language Skills - Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The frequently required to sit, talk and hear, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit for extended times. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision, close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee works indoors and the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.