GE Appliances, a Haier company Senior Advanced Quality Engineer in Decatur, Alabama
USA, Decatur, AL
USA, Louisville, KY
Job Posting Title
Senior Advanced Quality Engineer
The Senior Advanced Quality Engineer will support the Decatur Refrigeration Plant (DPO) New Product Introduction (NPI) program and is responsible to drive successful NPI processes, present project statuses, drive process improvement and positively impact Cost of Quality (COQ). The AQE will further develop and use quality testing processes similar to APQP (Advanced Product Quality Planning) or DFSS (Design for Six Sigma) to measure and ensure new high volume manufacturing processes are ready for use. This position may be located in Louisville, KY with significant (50-75%) travel to Decatur, AL or in Decatur, AL. Relocation assistance may be offered.
What you will Do
Provide technical leadership & in-depth expertise to project manage the development, procurement and implementation of equipment & processes for manufacturing.
Execute and lead the supplier approval process. Set up the evaluation criteria to prove qualification.
Lead the identification of CTQs and first piece capability studies to determine evaluation of good versus bad.
Assess and approve CMM and other metrology gauges by partnering with suppliers as they build equipment and tooling.
Execute and manage first piece system and that all drawings (includes parts and assemblies) are qualified.Partner with AMEs to qualify that the process and equipment can produce a good part during a pre-launch phase of an NPI.
Provide detailed and comprehensive planning and implementation of Right-sized manufacturing equipment and processes including: First Piece Inspection, DFMEA, PFMEA, Qualification, metrology systems / gauging and test equipment.
Participate in the nine-step process during the pre-launch phase.Baseline similar process including, but not limited to: Scrap, yield, field rework (quality hold), downtime, SCR, damage, ergonomic (safety), lost production, and standard deviations of critical dimensions.
Work cross-functionally with Design, Quality, and Manufacturing to scope and define processes to support robust high volume consumer product manufacturing.
Develop and implement quality, data and test plans to ensure sustained control of Process Critical to Quality features (CTQ's.).
Project-manage the scoping, definition and implementation of quality improvement for strategic and operational programs.
Support total cost take out and run the plant projects.
Facilitate and coordinate Action Work Outs and Production Preparation Process (3P) to design and improve lean manufacturing processes, including; Right-sized equipment, Standard Work, Work Station Design and Layout and quality plans
Use 3P to plan, specify, procure, certify and implement into production, high quality, cost effective, right-sized manufacturing processes, fixtures and equipment.
What you need to Succeed
· Experience with manufacturing quality/NPI quality projects and process improvement in a fast-paced, high volume manufacturing environment
· Experience with Lean manufacturing principles
· Ability to work in large cross-functional teams and at multiple levels in the organization (both salaried and shop floor operators / skilled trades team members)
· Good communication skills – will be expected to provide program report outs to cross-functional team.
· Good organizational, project management and presentation skills to interact with all levels within the organization and with suppliers and vendors
· Demonstrated ability to take ownership of cross-functional program deliverables and ability to drive decisions based on the overall benefit to the company
· Leadership experience or has played a lead role in the definition, design, implementation and troubleshooting of quality and/or manufacturing processes.
· Project tracking and detailed planning skills required.
· Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or related discipline OR equivalent 5 years’ hands on experience in manufacturing quality disciplines
· 5+ years of experience with manufacturing quality/NPI quality projects and process improvement
· Experience interpreting data to solve problems associated with high volume, short cycle manufacturing of consumer products.
· Knowledge of or experience in using and programming CMM or other automated metrology equipment.
· Understanding of Process Failure Mode Effects Analysis (PFMEA) and Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
· Bachelors in Engineering strongly preferred- especially Electrical Engineering
· Prefer experience in one or more of these areas: Metals/Stamping supporting Fab lines, Controls/Testing, Ergonomics supporting Final Assembly, Test & Pack
· Has played a lead role or is ready to play a lead role in the development of dimensional control strategies with suppliers
· Assisted or is ready to assist in the design and procurement of gages and instruments from suppliers and engineering teams
· Graduate of SCDP, operations or other leadership development course or equivalent engineering related co-op or intern program experience
· Working conditions are normal for a high-volume manufacturing environment.
· Work may involve lifting of materials and product up to 30 pounds and working in and around heavy equipment.
· Working in this environment requires the use of safety equipment to include but not limited to; eye safety glasses, hearing protectors, work boots, and hardhats.
· These roles will require frequent walking in a manufacturing plant environment.
· This position may be located in Louisville, KY with significant (50-75%) travel to Decatur, AL or in Decatur, AL.
· Hours & Weekends: Working off-shift and weekends will be required.
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.